Monday, March 28, 2011

Gretta Elise Costley

This is her story of coming into this world.
Monday the 21st Spencer and I went to the doctor and I got an appointment for the next Monday (which would be today) to be induced. I was really sad because I thought they were going to do it sooner. I should say that I totally ruined the whole last 3 weeks of my pregnancy by getting excited about being dilated to a 2. This means nothing and someone can be dilated for weeks before the baby actually comes. I kept thinking "today is the day, today is the day". That makes for a LONG last bit of pregnancy. Don't ever get excited. Your hopes will be dashed.
So Tuesday came, My DUE DATE, and the thought kept coming to my head what the Doctor had told me everytime I saw him, which was "If you think you have a leak in your water... go to the hospital!" So at about 3 pm we decided to go in just to be sure. When I got there they put an IV in (my very first IV) and gave me oxygen because the baby's heart rate was going way high up and then way down low. She was stressed. They did an exam and an ultrasound and these both came back negative. My super nice nurse Terri was not convinced though. She wanted to induce me anyway mostly because the baby was acting a little funny and that could have been a sign of an infection.
We were stoked! We got moved into a real room and I took a shower while Spencer went and got us dinner. I wasn't allowed to eat while I was being induced so they told me to eat right then. At about 8 pm they started the pitocin and there it began. Mom and Lisa were on their way down and it was real.
I immediately started feeling contractions and they were ok for a little while. After laying there for 5 hours the contractions started feeling REALLY strong. Even though I wished for a non-medicated birth I decided to get the epidural. I figured getting induced wasn't natural so why not give up all together, haha. But honestly I do not regret that decision at all. The epidural was like a gift from heaven. I did not feel any pain for the rest of my labor. Only pressure when I needed to push.
I slept for the next 5 hours. Who can say that? I slept through my labor. AMAZING! Kinda weird but amazing all the same. I was progressing slowly for a while staying at a 5 and the baby was still stressed. But at about 6am I was an 8! WOO HOO. 7am I was a 10! Now was the time! They wanted me to labor the baby down as much as I could so we waited to push until 8:20.
Gretta Elise Costley was born at 8:44 am March 23, 2011.

Photobucket
She was placed right on my chest and i was bouncing her up and down from laughing and crying so hard. I was so happy I couldn't control myself.

Photobucket
She was beautiful, elongated head and all. She had a TON of black hair and the most amazing sounding voice in the world.

Photobucket

Then I looked at Spencer and saw his sweet cry. We were a family. This is what life is all about.

Photobucket
Lisa and mom and spencer were all right there and we were all overwhelmed with happiness. Here is Grandpa who came a little after the birth.

Photobucket

We had to stay in the hospital until Saturday night because Gretta had jaundice. I would go into the nursery to feed her every three hours and then she would be placed right back under the lights. She was such a good girl dealing with that and I cherished every minute of those 30 minutes they allowed me to feed her.


Photobucket
She is a beautiful baby and we just love to stare at her. Spencer is such a good dad and he helps me when I don't have any idea what I'm doing.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Now comes the real adventure. Being parents.
And of course she will be the most photographed little girl ever. So stay tuned for lots and lots of photos in the future. We love Gretta!

12 comments:

  1. oh my my you and grandma have been busy! :) she's beautiful.
    Laina says - she has really curly hair and looks like mollie - sortof..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mollie- She is adorable. I hope I get to meet her soon. Congratulations. I have been waiting for more pictures. I hope you have been getting some sleep. Enjoy every moment because she will grow up so fast. You are going to be a great mom. James thinks she looks like you. Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I have literally been checking the blog EVERY DAY waiting for this post!! She is so beautiful! I love all of her black hair! Congratulations guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MOLLIE! She is outright GORGEOUS! I cannot believe she is here. I am so happy for you and Spencer. You are going to be the best parents to her. :) She's going to be the hippest, cutest baby in town! Can't wait for the day til I meet her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! Aren't epidurals GREAT?! I had ONE in FIVE deliveries, and I took a great nap too! Woke up just in time to push! We are so excited for you both (ALL)! She's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mollie! Congratulations! She is seriously such a beautiful baby! Isn't it the best feeling ever having that sweet girl finally here? So happy for you and your hubby. Enjoy! Soon you will be taking her three year pictures and freaking out like me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE HER! WE STILL NEED TO TALK! I want to hold her NOW! I can't wait to get down there so I can see her! I hope you are recovering ok! I miss my mollie! Spencer looked so cute holding her. and his hair is long. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is soo adorable! Such a cute baby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are pretty happy with our new little Gretta, she is totally a little china doll. Thank you Mollie and Spencer for a beautiful granddaughter! We love you all, Grandma and Grandpa Mckown

    ReplyDelete
  10. She is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! So happy for you guys! CONGRATS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO perfect! Spence your sweet baby is here, now you can give yourself a trim :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why do I not have your blog saved so I can see when you update it!? That changes today!

    She is PERFECT! She looks so much like you. I am so proud of you. And I like your comment on giving up on the whole natural thing altogether.

    Cute cute cute.

    ReplyDelete